Friday, January 25, 2008
Germaphobia...
Okay, I'll admit it here in our blog. I'm a germaphobe. Not the super anal retentive germaphobe type mind you, but someone who would rather live in a healthy home than one wrought with illness. This winter has been a train wreck. All three of the kingdom's precious cherubs have fallen prey to more than one viral infection (sinus, common cold and the newest one, rotovirus). I alcohol wipe ever doorknob, switch plate, set of car keys, bannister and faucet once a week. I wash clothes in hot water with bleach (or bleach alternative). I wipe down counter tops with Clorox wipes and there is a bottle (or two) of Purell hand sanitizer in every single room. My hands alone are dry and cracked from all the handwashing--but still--the children are sick. I don't get it. The twins hardly leave the house so it just seems impossible that they could ever be sick. Low and behold, they are. Not once this winter, but for the third time. Can someone out there PLEASE explain it to me? My hope was to keep them safe from germs for at least six months. That way, they'd at least reach a sleep-through-the-night pattern so that the king and queen could get some much needed rest. But NO....THAT is asking way too much. So, going on five months now Tony and Wendy continue to remain sleep deprived, exhausted, and fighting unknown viruses at every turn. What was the line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding--"put a little Windex on it." Maybe that's what I'll go do now.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
If you use too much anti-bacterial soap, etc... it actually makes you more susceptible to germs because the healthy germs and bacteria that work with your body to prevent illness are killed in the process.
You want to use more regular soap and warm/warmer water. It will help the kids "good bacteria/germs" (like you believe there is any but there are little microbes all over your body helping you stay healthy)stave off the bad germs.
As far as sleep, Joshua went ten months, waking up every two hours on the clock like clockwork... you have to stagger your sleep rythms. But then again, we didn't have twins but you and the King are smart, you'll figure it out.... and then one day, magically, like a box of Lucky Charms, they'll all start sleeping through the night.
Peace out.
doug
www.dougveeder.com
Post a Comment